We understand there may be times when your personal circumstances change. Perhaps you’ve lost your job, suffered an illness or injury or have been impacted by a natural disaster.
If, as a result, you can’t afford the minimum repayment on your loan or credit card, and you would like us to consider if we can provide you with financial difficulty assistance, please contact us immediately.
In many instances a temporary arrangement can be made quickly and efficiently over the phone.
Alternatively we may need to complete a more detailed assessment of your personal and financial circumstances to identify how we may be able to help you.
If you would like to apply for assistance, please contact:
Mortgage Help Centre
Phone: 1300 650 259
Postal Address: PO Box 1048, Adelaide, South Australia 5001
Frequently Asked Questions
What are my assistance options?
This will depend on your personal circumstances and financial situation, and may include:
- Tailoring a payment arrangement
- Deferring or reducing loan payments for a defined period of time
- Extending the loan term
- Capitalising loan arrears.
What is the application process?
If you think you are, or will be, unable to meet your debt obligations please contact us as soon as possible.
Depending on your situation we may be able to enter into a temporary arrangement quickly and efficiently over the phone.
Alternatively we may require further information and documentation to help us understand your financial position and determine whether assistance is appropriate.
The Bank may require:
- A statement of financial position to be completed summarising your current income, expenditure, assets and liabilities
- An employment contract and/or payslips
- Your account statements
- A Centrelink statement and/or social security payment details
- A medical certificate from a qualified medical practitioner
- An employment separation statement
- A contract of sale/ sales agency agreement
- Other documents which support your request.
Once you have provided us with all the requested information necessary to review your financial situation we will provide you with a decision within 21 days.
How will we assess your application for financial difficulty assistance?
Our dedicated team will contact you. When assessing your request they will take into account factors including:
- The reason for financial difficulty
- Your current financial position
- Your ability to meet the commitments under the proposed arrangement and future repayments under the contract
- The ability to rehabilitate your circumstances (based on whether the financial difficulty assistance will offer genuine relief to restore your financial situation).
How will we confirm the arrangement?
We’ll confirm the details with you verbally and/or in writing.
You’ll need to ensure that you meet the terms of the arrangement.
If you are subsequently unable to meet these terms, you should contact us as soon as possible to discuss your situation.
What happens if my application is declined?
There may be a number of reasons why we decide not to provide financial difficulty assistance. If this is the case the reason for the decision will be explained to you in writing. We’ll also seek to discuss the next steps we will take and other available options with you.
What if I am not satisfied with the outcome of the assessment?
If you are not satisfied with the response provided you have the option of referring the matter to the Customer Advocate who will impartially assess your complaint, keep you informed of the progress and provide you with a response.
The Customer Advocate can be contacted by:
- Telephone – 1300 139 572 (+61 3 5485 7919) between 8:30am and 5:00pm Victorian time, weekdays
- Email – email@example.com
- Post/letter – write to Customer Advocate, P.O. Box 480, Bendigo, Vic, 3552.
Alternatively (or following consideration by the Customer Advocate) you may refer your complaint directly to the relevant External Dispute Resolution (EDR) scheme.
Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) Australia
Phone: 1800 367 287
Fax: (03) 9613 6399
Postal Address: GPO Box 3 Melbourne, Victoria 3001 (Australia)
Other useful resources
If you are experiencing financial difficulty, useful resources are available to you. These include:
- The ABA’s ‘DoingItTough’ website which provides information about financial hardship, including how to identify if you’re experiencing financial hardship, how to apply for hardship assistance, and tips to help you manage your money. See www.doingittough.info
- ASIC’s ‘MoneySmart’ website provides information and tools to help you make the most of your money. See www.moneysmart.gov.au
You may wish to seek advice from an independent financial counsellor about your options. For more information about financial counselling services phone the toll-free number on 1800 007 007 or go to Financial Counselling Australia’s website at www.financialcounsellingaustralia.org.au
Mortgage Help Centre
Phone: 1300 650 259
Postal Address: GPO Box 1048, Adelaide,
South Australia 5001
Adelaide Bank, a Division of Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Limited, ABN 11 068 049 178 AFSL / Australian Credit Licence 237879